Rules of the Road

I hope you will find my blog interesting and inspiring. To help make your visit more profitable, please observe these Rules of the Road.

1. I am not a rabbi. If you have a question regarding halachah (Jewish law) please consult a rabbi.

2. Please do not visit on Shabbat or Jewish holidays.

3. Feel free to comment on any post. Please be respectful when commenting. All comments will be reviewed.

4. Additional resources are listed at the end of each post for readers who would like more information on the topic.

5. Please explore the other pages of this blog to learn about the basics of living a Jewish life and to find out more about me and my projects.

6. You may contact me via email at welshabba@gmail.com or leave a text or voice message at 267-225-8573.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Becoming Jewish: Beginning the Conversion Process

Whether you are contemplating conversion to Judaism or are committing yourself to a more observant lifestyle, you will quickly discover that "becoming Jewish" is not instantaneous. Time, effort and persistence are necessary to achieve the goal of transforming oneself into a person whose life is committed to Torah and mitzvot. In the next few post I will discuss the process of conversion based on my personal experience. I shall try to offer some guidance and encouragement to those of you who are just beginning your journey into Judaism.

One thing is certain. I did not simply wake up one morning and say to myself, "I think I'll become a Jew." My decision to convert came after a long and deeply personal time of struggle and introspection. I was raised in a very devout Christian home. Christianity had met my spiritual needs for years, so much so that I entered the Christian ministry. A personal spiritual crisis led me to reconsider my beliefs. After years of uncertainty, learning about other religious communities, and studying,I determined that Judaism was where I belonged.

As you contemplate your own reasons for becoming Jewish, consider your motivation. There are some powerful motivators that can bring difficulty your way as you move along the way. There are also potential pitfalls which could challenge even the most determined of converts. Judaism is not an easy way of living. There are many requirements to living a Torah life. While The United States and many other western countries are fairly safe homes for Jewish people, a careful reading of the daily newspaper will prove that there are dangers even in the most safe of communities. Judaism is full of beautiful rituals, meaningful holidays and spiritually uplifting virtues. These virtues can be strengthening and fulfilling, but unless one is willing to commit body and soul to being fully Jewish the way can become very difficult indeed.

I am not trying to discourage anyone. If Judaism is really where G-d wants you to be, there is no more rewarding life. The sense of nearness to G-d, the strength of community, the guidance and direction of Torah and halachah can be a source of profound spiritual satisfaction. The place to begin your journey is within yourself. Why do you want to "become Jewish"? Is this where you belong? Can you envision yourself living as a Jew at work? In your home?

As you progress through this process of self-evaluation, the very best advice I can give you is: don't do it alone. A strong support system is essential when making any significant life-decision. More on that subject in my next post.

As always your comments and questions are welcome. If you haveany questions that you do not wish to ask publicly, you may contact me via e-mail at welshabbabooks@gmail.com

Related links:
Should I convert to Judaism?
Considering Conversion
So You Want to Convert (From Haaretz, but interesting)

No comments:

Post a Comment